Homemade Pizza Crust
This is a delicious, fun and versatile pizza crust. Its a great recipe to make for guests or for your family. You can make the pizza as fancy or as simple as you want. When I make this dough I enjoy involving my son, Parker. He likes to help through the entire process, but his favorite is pressing out the dough and adding sauce, toppings and cheese.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons rapid yeast
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/4 cup white bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
For sauce, topping and cheese use your family's favorites.
Combine water and yeast and let stand for five minutes to get the yeast started. If you have a stand mixer with dough hook you can start this in the mixer bowl, if not use a medium size bowl that would fit all ingredients and room to mix.
Add one cup of white flower, egg, honey, garlic salt and butter. Mix until combined. Gradually add whole wheat flower until 1 cup has been added. Mix until combined. Dough will be sticky.
If you are not using a stand mixer, stir by hand until dough is sticky and slightly clumpy.
While mixer is on low, add flour to mixture one tablespoon at a time is incorporated and the mixture begins to form into a dough. It will still be slightly sticky. With the mixer on low to medium, allow dough hook to knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes.
If you are not using a stand mixer, knead mixture on floured surface while adding small amounts of white flour until dough forms. Continue kneading for approximately 10 minutes.
Move the dough from bowl to lightly floured surface. Knead until dough bounces back when lightly pressed.
If not using stand mixer, continue kneading until the dough reaches this point.
Move dough to a oiled bowl and light drape with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
Dough should have doubled in size.
Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees
Now you can add your favorite sauce, toppings and cheese. My wife and son are on the picky side, so one of the pizzas is typically pepperoni.
Once oven is preheated use pizza peal and place pizza on the stone with the parchment paper still under it.
Bake with parchment paper in place for 5 minutes. After five minutes remove the parchment paper and bake additional 2-4 minutes. Crust will be browned and cheese will be bubbly.
Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
Cut and serve.
Top with the sauce, toppings and cheese of your family's choice
- Combine water and yeast and let stand for 5 minutes
- Add one cup of white flower, egg, honey, garlic salt and butter. Mix until combined. Gradually add whole wheat flower until 1 cup has been added. Mix until combined. Dough will be sticky
- Continue to add white flour while mixing or kneading until dough forms into a ball
- Knead dough until it springs back when pressed lightly
- Let dough rise for 1 hour
- Divide dough into two balls
- Press out dough into desired shape on parchment paper. Poke with fork to reduce bubbles
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Add desired sauce, toppings and cheese
- Bake on parchment paper for 5 minutes
- Remove parchment paper and continue baking for 2-4 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let the pizza rest for 2 minutes
- Cut, serve and enjoy